Blog Post For : 1250.9
Re: Enlargements of Time in the First Department
Since the implementation of the Statewide Practice Rules, there has been some misinformation given to practitioners regarding how to enlarge time for filing deadlines in the First Department. Because the court continues to function using its term calendar system which predated the Statewide Practice Rules, the process for enlargements differs from other departments. Enlargements for the Appellant’s Time to Perfect an Appeal Like in other departments, appellants may obtain two enlargements of time as of right by letter application. No filing fee is required. The letters should be e-filed for cases which are electronically filed in the Appellate Division. For…Read more
Are you complying with the Second Department’s new requirement to hyperlink your digital brief to all case citations?
Under the newly-enacted Statewide Practice Rule 1250.9, one digital copy of every brief, appendix, or record on appeal must be filed in addition to the requisite paper copies. For e-filed cases, the digital copy is through NYSCEF; for other cases, the digital submission is sent through the court's website simultaneous to the paper filing. Unlike in the other three departments, the Second Department’s Technical Guidelines add a very significant mandatory element for all digital briefs: Bookmarking in Briefs: All electronically-filed briefs should contain bookmarks to the authorities cited in those briefs. Those bookmarks should take the reader to a copy of the…Read more
- The New York Appellate Division, Fourth Department announces expansion of e-filing categories starting October 1, 2019
- What Does it Mean to “Settle” a Transcript?
- Supplementing the Record on Appeal Versus Enlarging the Scope of the Record in the New York Appellate Division, Second Department
- Applications for Expedited Relief in the Appellate Division, First Department
- Perfecting Appeals in the Appellate Term First Department